Explore, identify and learn about over 800 butterfly species with Woodhall’s Butterflies of South Africa app, a comprehensive new field tool written and photographed by butterfly expert Steve Woodhall.
Designed for easy identification of all butterflies likely to be seen in South Africa, this app supplies a wealth of information, from butterfly biology, behaviour and anatomy to flight periods and geographical distribution. It explores South Africa’s diverse butterfly species, many of which are found nowhere else in the world.
• More than 800 South African butterfly species
• Identify species by upperside or underside colour, pattern, size, habitat & flight period
• Nearly 3000 vibrant photographs showing males and females, uppersides and undersides, and diverse colour forms
• Search by region or by GPS.
• Up-to-date, accurate information on family groups and individual species
• Compare two species side by side
• Keep track of your sightings in a Life List
• Search and sort by English or scientific names
Steve Woodhall is a butterfly enthusiast and photographer who began studying butterflies at an early age. He is the former President of the Lepidopterists’ Society of Africa, and has authored several books on butterflies, among them Living Butterflies of Southern Africa, Field Guide to Butterflies of South Africa, What’s that Butterfly? and Gardening for Butterflies.
JOIN OUR GROWING COMMUNITY
If you’ve got a few comments or great suggestions to share, we’d love to hear from you at www.mydigitalearth.com
* Uninstalling/reinstalling the app will result in the loss of your list. We recommend that you keep a backup from the application (My List > Export).
Please note that an additional download of 336MB may be required once this app has been installed. Please ensure you use a WiFi connection to prevent additional data costs.